WE ALL KNOW THE ROAD TO SUCCESS CAN BE A TRICKY ONE, JOIN ME WHILE I FIND OUT.
Oprah Wannabe



Wednesday 1 October 2008

THE DAY AFTER THE FIRST DAY OF MY LIFE

Ok, yesterday was the first day of the rest of my ‘business’ life, however I have been self employed now since December 2005. I’ve been working in PR for the past 10 years and worked for the last 5 at a fantastic London agency called Shine. I decided it was time to go it alone for many reasons, after working my arse off as a Senior Account Manager for some great clients like Timberland, Ted Baker, FCUK, Quiksilver, Roxy, Paramount, ECB (English Cricket Board) and Channel 4. Plus, I was also fed up with office politics, but that's another story. Anyway, I’ve been freelancing ever since as well as setting up the beginnings of the business empire I hope one day to resemble the likes of great entrepreneurs who have inspired me such as Russell Simmons, Rachel Bell and Ms Winfrey (of course).

Also in this time I’ve been through a mini messy divorce (close friends might say), lost all contact with my soon to be adopted son (not by choice), moved out of my co-owned flat and moved in with my sis and her husband, got friendly with a family friend of 15 years, kept it a secret from my family as it was 6 months after leaving my ex (yes, I know, it was too soon, BUT there was no stopping it), fell in love with said friend of 15 years, got pregnant (not advisable for the daughter of Nigerian parents, especially the ‘not being married bit), attended various 'family meetings' to help resolve the so called shame I had brought on the family, had a beautiful baby girl and that brings me to now…

There are many things I want to achieve in life, help the homeless, help those living in poverty back home (Nigeria), basically set up a organisation which covers the above. I also want to continue working in the fickle world of fashion as I just love it, but in a different capacity - other than a fashion PR. I’ve always wanted to own a vintage/retro store – a cross between Urban Outfitters, Yellow Dirty Bastard Rat (New York), JoY (London) and Ambience (San Francisco). Also I have a few other ideas under my sleeve which will remain there… well, for now… I’m still in the process of working them up.

Anyway, today has been a good day, work wise. I was given a new business lead a few weeks ago for a fashion client. We met up the other week, had a great meeting – we just seemed to really get on. So well she didn’t feel there was a need for me to present credentials and ask me to go straight to developing a PR proposal for her expanding business. So, that’s what I’ve been working on today, pulling the proposal together. I’ve been at it since 6.30am this morning. Boss lady decided she was happy to watch a bit of GMTV and LK Today whilst sat on her play mat, so I dare not disturb her. At least I have been able to have some time to pick up where I left it and start writing up the presentation slides. She’s now with my parents so it’s all good.

It’s was approaching 4 o/c when I started writing today’s post. I was feeling tired and losing concentration on the proposal (boss lady woke up at 5am this morning for her daily 30 minute moan whilst STILL being fast asleep), so I decided it would be a good time to blog… (Especially as my good friend DF had told me off yesterday for not adding to my blog THE MUSINGS OF A BLACK SISTA (which I’ve since deleted) for quite a while. I suppose I can say she is the one who gave me a kick up the arse in regards to getting back on the blogging thing which resulted in this blog… (she’ll be happy with that). Anyway, long enough break from the daily grind… back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.